Thursday, May 07, 2009

Lake Powell then Boot Camp

The upcoming weekend looks perfect and so I'm heading to Lake Powell. I'll do a little fishing, a little sight seeing, plus relax and enjoy time with family.

My son, Dan, joined the Army - he heads to basic training in a couple weeks. He loves Powell and so we decided get him down there once more before he ships out.

Dan's wife, Jenny, will be coming - her first trip to the lake. They are pregnant, some 6.5 months along, so we will be taking it easy - hunting calm water.

Fishing should be superb. There will be a full moon, and that can interfere with fishing during the morning hours, but I don't think it will constrain things at this time of year. It will be beautiful camping out under that moon.

I normally camp on a beach away from the marinas - nothing better than having a remote canyon all to yourself, where you can't hear or see other humans. But this time I've elected to stay in the developed campground at Bullfrog - close to the restrooms.

My boat is running well. Had to rebuild the axle on the trailer - hope they welded the spindle on straight. The spindle is the part the wheel bearings ride on, so it holds the wheel on. Last time I towed the boat a set of bearings burned out and ruined the existing spindle. I wanted to replace the entire axle but couldn't find one that fit my boat. So I had a shop rebuild the old one. Cross your fingers.

My recreational habits are a bit streaky. For the past couple years I've been into canyon hiking, doing more of that than fishing. I think this is the year for Lake Powell. Oh, I'll do a few hikes, but I hope to get down to Powell 4-5 times. I'll buy an annual pass, so friends and family members should encourage me to use it.

I'll try to send a few Twitter messages to report from the lake. Follow me on Twitter.
- Dave

No comments: