Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Hiking to Heaven

Why do I hike? Why do I fish? I throw countless hours and dollars and miles at these activities - what do I get back?

I've been asked to speak to a group of engineers and I will try to convince them that hiking will improve their lives and help fix the world. The company they work for offers a monthly lunch where employees can eat free if they listen to a healthy lifestyle presentation. I get a free lunch out of the deal. Not bad.

So, why do I hike and fish? Guess I better work that out before Tuesday. Here's a start.

1. I enjoy it. I enjoy being out in nature - particularly in areas with great natural beauty.

2. It helps me stay sane. The serenity in nature helps me keep my life in perspective. The rhythmic actions provide a focus for my conscious mind but leave my unconscious free to process - to sort things out. If I don't get out of town at least once a month I start to go crazy.

3. It's healthy exercise.

4. It's good for families. Spending time together, communicating, having fun... It's good for parents to structure activities that promote those things.

5. It's good for the world. Don't stop with your own kids. Take your neighbors. Work with a Scout troop. Help other people's kids.

It's good when people learn to love and respect the nature world, and to work to restore nature's balance.

I do believe activities like hiking and fishing help people fix their lives and improve the world. Convinced?

Why do you hike and/or fish?

No comments: