Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lake Powell Trip Report

-- See our latest fishing report.

-- Read our Lake Powell fishing articles.

When you go to Lake Powell, what's more important than catching fish?

Well, perhaps building relationships.

I enjoyed a great trip to Powell last weekend and but I didn't even fish. That is a little bit sad, because fishing is hot down there right now, but it just means I'll have to go back in a week or two, before the fish frenzy ends.

My son, Dan, went and joined the Army Reserves. He heads off to basic training in a couple weeks. After basic, who knows where he will be. He has always loved Powell and so I wanted to give him one more trip before he goes.

Dan's wife, Jenny, came along and she is quite pregnant. Son Aaron and his pregnant wife Rebecca were also there, along with their 2.5-year-old daughter Katie. The wives and Katie had never been to the lake and so we elected to go sight seeing, hitting some of my favorite spots while avoiding long boat rides, rough water and excessive exposure to the sun.

We boated through scenic canyons, pulled people - slowly - on a play tube and enjoyed being on the lake. Katie had great fun chasing lizards. Most of us did get sunburned and I think everyone had fun. It was a great trip to build relationships.

When I go to Powell I normally camp on the beach, sleeping near places I want to fish. That provides a great advantage because the best fishing usually occurs during the early morning and late evening hours. If you have to boat from one of the marinas, you often miss great action.

This time we stayed in the developed campground at Bullfrog. It is very nice, with flush toilets and other modern facilities. During warm weather the campground is like a small city, meaning you have to put up with neighbors with dogs and loud music, but it worked out well this time.

In a couple weeks I'll do a serious Lake Powell fishing trip. I might even go down there Memorial Day weekend. That weekend is crazy on the lake, with boats and people and confusion. But the Hite area will be serene - meaning it won't have very many people - because there are limited facilities, you have to launch on an old road bed, and the water there is muddy because of runoff coming down the Colorado River.

But Hite is the closest launch point to some of the best fishing on the lake. I'll probably launch at Hite and boat down-lake toward Good Hope Bay. I'll get down past the muddy water and then camp on the beach - away from the crowds.

Bass fishing is very good right now lake-wide, and some of the best fish are being caught on broken rock in the Good Hope area. Stripers are also coming on and some nice fish will be caught trolling near the mud line (the spot where muddy river water gives way to clear lake water).

With that strategy I can enjoy a nice trip, even over the popular holiday weekend.

- Dave

No comments: