Thursday, April 23, 2009

Real-Time Fishing Updates Via Twitter

Do you twitter? I've signed on and started to experiment to see how to use it to advantage. You can see my messages here.

I've learned to filter twitter to pull out messages on specific topics, and embed those messages into pages on my website. Right now I'm embedding filtered messages into these pages:
- Lake Powell
- Willard Bay
- Utah Lake

The interesting thing about twitter is you can send updates from a cell phone or satellite phone. So if people send good info about their trips, we can have almost-real-time updates on fishing at particular waters. That could be cool.

At Lake Powell I get cell coverage in a few spots. With one of Russ Smith's satellite phones I could send from almost anywhere. So, I might send a series of messages like this.

#1 - Just arrived at Lake Powell, Bullfrog, waiting to launch.

#2 - We're cruising up Lake Powell, heading toward Red Canyon.

# 3 - Marked a huge school of stripers at Lake Powell, in a small canyon off Good Hope. Slowing down to troll.

#4 - Lake Powell Good Hope Bay, Shad Rap hasn't worked, changing to a Wally Diver.

#5 - Bingo. We had simultaneous striper hookups at Lake Powell, Good Hope, trolling Walley Divers down about 20 feet.

#6 - Help. Just ran out of gas at Lake Powell. Help?

Every message has to include the phrase "Lake Powell" to be picked up and displayed on my Lake Powell Twitter page. Other messages including that phrase will also be displayed, intermixed with mine. If we get several people posting, it could be a very good service.

I'll try it and see how it works. I'm always interested in comments and suggestions.

- Dave

No comments: