Friday, February 06, 2009

Rattlesnake Attacks Bass Boat

rattlesnakeI stumbled across this interesting video on BassFan.com. It shows a big rattlesnake swimming right toward a couple guys fishing from a bass boat. The snake is coming right at them, and it is big.

What would you do?

Rattlers do swim. It's not uncommon to see them swim across streams. This one was quite a ways from shore, swimming like a pro.

In my view, many people have unreasonable fear of snakes. Under normal circumstances rattlesnakes try to get away from humans, they only strike if they are cornered and harassed. They can't strike from much of a distance and they can't chase you down.

In this video shows the snake is coming right at the boat, and it keeps coming back even when they try to chase it away by hitting with their rods. Bass boats sit low on the water and the big snake might have been able to climb aboard.

The snake coils in the water and prepares to defend itself. It is very persistent and never backs down.

What would I do? I'd watch it with great curiosity. After I saw how persistent it was I would start my motor and move to a different fishing spot.

Some people would become obsessed with the snake and try to kill it. That's sad. There is no reason to harm the snake in those circumstances. The snake was in its environment--its home. The fishermen were the intruders. The fishermen could easily get away, at any time.

I live in a city and I don't want rattlesnakes in my back yard. I grew up in the country and we encountered rattlers on a regular basis. Basically, if we left them alone they left us alone.

Occasionally one would come in under the house, chasing mice or something. We considered that a problem and took action. But out in the fields, there's no need to harm them.

Snakes play an important part in an area's ecosystem. They are living creatures and deserve respect. I would happily yield my fishing spot to the snake.

- Dave

No comments: