Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Planning For Adventure...

grand gulch artifactsI keep my schedule as flexible as possible, so I can take advantage of opportunities as they develop. That's particularly true during spring and fall, when storms can ruin the best-planned trips. The flip side is also true--periods of dry, mild weather can produce amazingly nice conditions for hiking and backpacking--sometimes too nice to resist.

Fish behave in predictable ways and it is easy to predict angling success during particular time frames. For example, walleye in Utah Lake will begin to spawn in late March or early April. It's more difficult to predict what weekends will bring peak action. I try to stay flexible so I can be there for the frenzy, no matter when it occurs.

That said, some adventures have to be schedule in advance. I'll be backpacking Grand Gulch this spring and permits there have to be worked out well in advance. Next fall I'll be floating the San Juan River between Mexican Hat and Lake Powell--if I can get permits the needed permits.

I try to take one major trip a month and then patch in 2-3 minor fishing or hiking trips. Below I list my dream list of major adventures for this season. I never actually go on all the trips I plan, but I do most of them. And, because I'm flexible, I swap in others as I learn about great opportunities.
- Fish Lees Ferry below Glen Canyon Dam
- Fish Lake Powell 2-3 times
- Fish Flaming Gorge 1-2 times
- Fish Green River 2-3 times
- Fish/Backpack in the Uintas 1-2 times
- Fish/Backpack Boulder Mountain
- Backpack Grand Gulch
- Backpack Dark Canyon
- Hike The Maze to the Harvest Scene

I consider those pretty major trips because they take 2 or more days. Below I list some day trips, which I consider to be minor outings.
- Fish Strawberry 8-10 times
- Fish Provo River 4-5 times
- Small stream fishing - numerous trips
- Desert camping/hiking - numerous trips

I usually take people with my on my trips--mostly family or buddies. But I go on more trips than my associates can handle and so I sometimes go looking for companions. Let me know if you are interested in any of the trips on my list--maybe we can join forces.

- Dave

No comments: