Saturday, November 08, 2008

A Boat Without Wheels

Price River BrownThe afternoon was a beautiful today, sunny and warm, and I really wanted to spend a few hours fishing from my boat.

As I was prepping it I noticed one of the trailer's tires was crooked - angled in when it should have been straight up and down. I looked closer and discovered the bearings were gone.

I'm glad I found the problem while the boat was still in my driveway, instead of halfway up Soldier Summit.

By the time I stopped messing with it the afternoon was far gone and I didn't have time to go anywhere.

Lousy way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

It looks like we'll get a storm tomorrow and Monday, then it will clear up and be nice for a few more days. I'll probably sneak away from work early toward the middle of the week and get my fishing fix.

One of my goals is to include a decent photo every time I blog. The photo with this post shows the Heritage Bridge over the Middle Provo, between Midway and Heber City. I took it yesterday as I shop photos for utah.com, so we can improve our Heber area content.

So I was right there, walking above the fabled Provo River. I could hear the fish calling. I had my fly rod in my truck. But I ran out of daylight and did not have time to fish. I would have found a way, had I known my boat trailer was out of commission.

I have a great trip planned for next Saturday, if the weather cooperates. I hope to hike Notch Peak, in Utah's west desert. It is about 10 miles round trip, fairly steep, to one of the most spectacular vistas in the region. Should be fun. I'm still trying to line up a crew to go with me. Let me know if you are interested.

No comments: